My baby boy is 10 months old. Only 2 more months and he will be a year old? His baby stage has just been so precious and filled with joy. I'm sad to see it go. But I'm also excited to see what new developments and personality traits he gains. This being a Mommy job is tough business. Its bitter sweet.
Wow. Month 9 had some interesting things in store for us. Max's first "serious" injury. Well, we thought it was serious. It turned out to be less serious, but still very stressful for Mom and Dad to deal with. Max fell using a toy about a week ago. When we got him home we realized that he wasn't using his right arm at all. Not to grab things, wouldn't bend it, and would definitely NOT put any weight on it. We decided to just keep an eye on it over night before getting too freaked out. During the night Max kept waking up whining and whimpering from pain. He slept with his arm completely straight all night.
In the morning we decided it would be best if we took him in to have it looked at. We went in to the urgent care at his pediatricians office. We ended up spending about 5 hours driving between his pediatricians office, to Primary Children's Hospital, back to his pediatricians office.
Initially the Dr thought that his elbow may be dislocated. But when he was trying to wiggle it back into place he said Max was in too much pain and that it appeared the pain was too low to be his elbow. He told us he didn't want to play with it anymore until he knew for sure that it wasn't broken. He decided to send us to Primary Children's to have it xrayed. We drove there and spent a pretty good amount of time. They found nothing abnormal in the xray. No dislocation. No break. Nothing. But he still wasn't using it at all. He was wincing from the pain. We then had to head back to the Dr office. The Dr ultimately decided to put a soft cast or splint on it to make sure he was okay. He said that sometimes breaks won't show up for a couple of days. It's also possible the break was too small to see. He told us to leave the splint on for a couple of days and then try out the arm.
Fast forward to Friday. I took the splint off and Max still wasn't using it. He stayed that way for a couple of hours and I got really worried. I called the Dr and they told me to put the splint back on and leave it on for an entire week then to bring him back for a checkup on the arm. Max had a appointment for his pictures that day. So when I got there I took his splint off again for the photos. He immediately started using his arm. I guess he just needed a couple of more hours in his splint. So apparently, no break. Maybe a sprain? We still have no idea but are so happy he is okay and had no major injuries. The whole ordeal was just so sad and depressing. Having him scream in pain every time someone wiggled his arm was hard to watch. Its hard not to yell at people when they hurt him. Even if they are trying to help, it just arouses that natural instinct.
That was the drama for the month. The one good thing that came from his injury is that Max was very cuddly. That is mean, and as a Mom I'd rather he is healthy. But the cuddle time was a plus.
Other then that Max has just been so fun. He got his first haircut this month. He has been feeding himself and having lots of different foods. Max loves food.
THIS MONTH!
Max likes/is learning:
*being talked to. I have really been trying to cut down on the baby talk. I talk to him as an adult when I can help myself.
*talking/screaming. Max says Mom. MaMa. DaDa. He still doesn't have the word association.
*clapping. We have taught him how to clap when you tell him to. We can say "Clap your hands." or "bang bang jha" (no idea how to spell that) which is clap your hands in Chinese.
*learning his body parts in Chinese, Spanish, and English. (poor kid ;)
*eating
*feeding himself. He will eat pretty much anything. I haven't found anything he won't eat just yet.
*smiling
*crawling. He is a pro!
*pulling himself up onto furniture. Also pro status.
*standing. Max is standing unsupported. But only sometimes. Definitely amateur status here.
*cruising
*sitting
*toys
*jumping
*grabbing things
*bath time
*swimming
*biting
*binkie
Max doesn't like:
*his car seat
*sitting still for diaper changes
*teething (we are getting more teeth. ouch!)
*Max is also starting to get into the seperation anxiety phase. He knows when we are gone or leaving now, and he lets us know how he feels about it.
1 comments:
He really is growing up! I'm oh so grateful that his arm turned out to be nothing. I feel/felt so badly that it happened on my watch, and I wish none of you had to go through that stress! Nice work mama, you've got one cute little guy there!
Post a Comment